Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I am a commuter!

For the past two years I have been driving 45 minutes to work everyday. It is about 35 miles. I live on the Outer Banks and work in mainland Currituck County. I enjoy my decompression time in the afternoons and I catch up on podcasts in the mornings. 


At least there is not a lot of traffic! 


#commuterproblems! One of the biggest problems I have is that I have to pack for a whole day when I leave for work in the morning. Usually that means school work, workout stuff, lunch, and purse! You can call me the bag lady if you want. Above is a light packing day. I also make enough coffee to get me to work and I have my water bottle to drink on my way home. 

I have read a lot about commuters and the one thing I hate the worst is that commuters are more likely to be overweight. I hate excuses and that is not going to happen! I make sure of that by bringing my running/ workout clothes and working out or running while I am still in Barco (That is where my office is). I work on this really neat community campus with parks and rec, the senior center, aviation school, airport and the YMCA. They have not completely finished construction so I run the roads and then cut through the woods. This gets me a little over 2 miles. When the sidewalks are finished it will be a longer run and I will not have to cut through the swapy woods or jump the ditches to get back on the road. 

To make sure that I get to work on time I have a very specific schedule.
My Morning routine: 
5:00 Bob Marley wakes me up with Kaya 
5:05 Coffee is being made! 
5:05 - 5:25 Morning Yoga 
5:25 - 6:00 Breakfast and Full House
6:00 - 7:00 Getting ready! Packing for the day , laundry and/or dishes 
7:00 - 7:15 Take the dog out 
7:16 Out the door! 
7:30 News update on the radio 
7:35 Podcast 

See I have got it down! I even subscribe to my favorite podcasts so I am always ready! I love love love stuff mom never told you. I think women keep far to many secrets from one another so this is a great way to explore the mysterious womanhood.  Freakonomics is cool mainly because it was my freshman reading in college and Stephen Dubner is an Appalachian Alumni as am I! He also spoke at convocation my Freshman year! 



No comments: