Thursday, April 26, 2012

After my Jams and Jellies class!

We used my granddad's apples to make this really pretty pink apple jelly. After making the juice you just add sugar. My jelly did not set up as well because I could not choose from ripe and unripe apples. The perfect ration would be 3/4 ripe and 1/4 unripe so there is enough pectin in the skin and core. Pectin and sugar are what cause the jelly to gel. The combination has to be just right to achieve the proper consistency. I read that powdered pectin might set up better than liquid. I'll have to experiment with that!

These are beautiful!! I tasted it before I canned it and it was great! I have not opened it yet because I am not ready to eat it. They look beautiful in my cabinet. I also printed labels from the computer so those who took my class could put their name on the top.

We also made raspberry jam. Jam I'd made from crushed berries rather than from the fruit juice which is how you make jelly. It is very easy if you have planed your own fruit. Usually you have to have double the amount needed because you will crust them down. Which if you are buying can be rather expensive. But the result is beautiful! The jam set up really well because we added pectin which I bought at Walmart, but can also be found at your local hardware store. Both were put in a boiling water bath for less than 15 minutes so the jars have to sterilize the jars. I just put them in the dishwasher.

If you are interested in canning you can do some research in both of these books! The USDA has the Complete Guide to Home Canning on their website so check that out for free. The Ball Bule Book is good too. They are a little over $6.00.

No comments: